Exec Dir of Labor Relations RB#13-41
|Title:||Exec Dir of Labor Relations RB#13-41|
BUFFALO BOARD OF EDUCATION
DEPARTMENT OF TALENT MANAGEMENT
720 CITY HALL BUFFALO, NEW YORK 14202
RECRUITMENT BULLETIN #13-41 August 26, 2013
BUFFALO BOARD OF EDUCATION VACANCY
POSITION: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF LABOR RELATIONS - EXEMPT
SALARY: BY CONTRACTUAL AGREEMENT
Buffalo Public Schools (BPS) has begun a period of change that seeks to transform the district and its schools. With the appointment of Superintendent Pamela Brown and a significant level of local, state, and federal attention and investment, Buffalo has an incredible opportunity to ensure that all of its students graduate prepared to succeed in college or a well-paying career.
Currently, BPS has 58 schools serving approximately 34,000 students, of whom 79% qualify for free or reduced price lunch and 77% are students of color. Of the 58 schools in the district, 28 have been given “priority” status by the state and 16 more have been given “focus” status. Within the district, a sizable number of students do not meet state standards, and only about half of those who attend high school graduate with a diploma. Superintendent Brown is building a talented and committed leadership team to partner with her in moving BPS towards the ambitious goal of preparing all students for success.
- Represents the School District and Board of Education in all employee relations matters;
- Develops, implements and administers programs, policies, rules, regulations, and procedures for labor relations and negotiations;
- Develop, implement and monitor long-term plans, goals and objectives focused on achieving the Buffalo Public Schools mission and related labor relations priorities;
- Serves as the School District’s primary advisor in matters of employer-employee relations, including reporting the latest trends and developments in the field and making regular, up-to-date reports on the current status of employer-employee relations within Buffalo Public Schools;
- Provides advice and recommendations to the Superintendent, senior staff and supervisors on varied labor relations and negotiation issues and practices;
- Acts as the chief negotiator for the School District;
- Responsible for the administration, implementation and interpretation of collective bargaining agreements;
- Conducts training sessions for supervisor and administrative personnel in addition to responding to all inquiries and problems;
- Directs, reviews, coordinates, and conducts the work of labor negotiations for all bargaining units;
- Represents the district and prepare district positions for use in collective bargaining.
- Develops formalized agreements reached with bargaining units.
- Convenes Buffalo Public Schools leadership meetings to obtain input for collective bargaining proposals.
- Plans and directs necessary research for collective bargaining, mediation or fact finding.
- Administers and interprets collective bargaining agreements.
- Coordinates and facilitates meetings between Buffalo Public Schools and bargaining unit representatives;
- Meets with administrator organizations and associates to discuss personnel issues as well as Board of Education rules and policies related to the implementation of collective bargaining agreements.
- Serves as a resource and provide technical advice to School District personnel involved in, or concerned with designated grievance proceedings.
- Partners with the Corporation Counsel to present the Board of Education in proceedings before the New York Public Employees Relations Board (PERB);
- Prepares and works with the Corporation Counsel in disciplinary proceedings for both instructional and non-instructional personnel;
- Acts as advisor and consultant to the Corporation Counsel in court cases and hearings
- before the State Commissioner of Education and PERB;
- Plans and directs necessary research for collection bargaining, mediation or fact-finding and directs the labor negotiations with the Board of Education’s unions;
- Performs related duties as required by the Superintendent of Schools or a designee.
Master’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Employee Relations or Industrial Relations, Law or Educational Administration and five years of full-time experience in Employee Relations in New York State public sector negotiations and arbitration.
Verifiable part-time experience will be pro-rated to meet full-time experience requirements. Proof of all of the above must be presented at time of appointment.
CANDIDATES FOR THIS POSITION SHOULD COMPLETE AN APPLICATION AVAILABLE ONLINE AT www.buffaloschools.org
(Recruitment Bulletin number must
be included on application)
Appointments are subject to the review of the Board of Education upon the recommendation of the Superintendent following the approval of the City of Buffalo Civil Service Division. Personal interviews shall be scheduled where appropriate.
The Buffalo Board of Education is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
FINAL FILING DATE:
Until position is filled.
Dr. Pamela C. Brown
Superintendent of Schools
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications