RECRUITMENT BULLETIN #13-49 September 26, 2013
BUFFALO BOARD OF EDUCATION VACANCY
Only candidates that have resided in the City of Buffalo for at least 90 consecutive days prior to the date of this posting can be considered for this position per Civil Service Rules
POSITION: MULTI-LINGUAL TEACHER AIDE (Non-Competitive) - Karen, Burmese, Arbaic, Nepali, Spanish, Swahili, French, Other
SALARY: $16,323 - $18,923
LOCATION: Various Locations
Using both the English and their home languages, the incumbent performs duties as follows:
- Assists teachers in the direction and control of children in and out of the classroom;
- Supervises and monitors the classroom when the teacher is out of the room;
- Relieves teacher of study hall, corridor, lunchroom, playground and other monitorial duties;
- Helps to maintain discipline and structure in the classroom;
- Attends to the physical needs of students;
- Organizes and participates in group games and related activities;
- Assists teachers in operating and demonstrating the proper use of vocational tools and equipment;
- Assists with projecting slides, film strips and films, videos, DVD, etc.;
- Reads and tell stories to children;
- Assists teachers in routine classroom preparation duties such as making student folders, charts, schedules, posters and bulletin boards;
- Helps teachers to set-up classroom by distributing and gathering materials and setting-up equipment;
- Makes photocopies of materials for lessons;
- Maintains and files records such as attendance, recording of grades or completion of homework assignments;
- Assists in administering tests by distributing and collecting test material, proctoring, scanning test sheets for results, distributes test results to teachers and career advisors;
- At the direction of the teacher or principal, contacts parents regarding absences and other student matters;
- Interprets during parent-teacher conferences and school meetings and events;
- Performs related duties as required.
Graduation from high school, GED or Equivalency Diploma or an equivalent combination of experience and training sufficient to indicate the ability to perform required duties.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate the ability to clearly speak, read, write and comprehend both English and other (home) language.
- Applicant must be able to prove that City of Buffalo residency was established at least 90 days prior to appointment.
APPLICATION: CANDIDATES FOR THIS POSITION SHOULD COMPLETE AN APPLICATION AVAILABLE ONLINE AT www.buffaloschools.org
(Recruitment Bulletin number must be included on application)
APPOINTMENT: Appointments are subject to the review of the Board of Education upon the recommendation of the Superintendent following the approval of the City of Buffalo Civil Service Division. Personal interviews shall be scheduled where appropriate.
The Buffalo Board of Education is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Darren J. Brown
Chief of Talent Management