Chief of Talent Management Exempt RB 12-115
|Title:||Chief of Talent Management Exempt RB 12-115|
RECRUITMENT BULLETIN 12-115 CHIEF OF TALENT MANAGEMENT
APRIL 9, 2013 EXEMPT
NOTICE OF POSITION
The Superintendent of Schools, Pamela C. Brown, Ed.D., is interested in receiving applications
from qualified candidates for the position of:
CHIEF OF TALENT MANAGEMENT
Candidates interested in applying must complete an online application on the district web site
: (1) Graduation from an accredited college with a Bachelor’s degree and six (6) years of full time paid experience in an administrative, executive or consultative capacity in the field of personnel management, or as a principal executive officer in a government agency or business; OR
(2) Acceptable New York State Education Department Certification in Educational Administration (School Administrator/Supervisor or School District Administrator) with a minimum of five (5) years of full time educational administration experience. Must have background and experience in the area of personnel management; OR
(3) A satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience; however, all candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree and demonstrated evidence of the ability to successfully organize, direct and administer a comprehensive personnel program as delineated in the performance responsibilities set forth above.
Buffalo Public Schools (BPS) has begun a period of change that seeks to transform the district and its
schools. With the appointment of Superintendent Pamela Brown and a significant level of local, state,
and federal attention and investment, Buffalo has an incredible opportunity to ensure that all of its
students graduate prepared to succeed in college or a well-paying career.
Currently, BPS has 58 schools serving approximately 34,000 students, of whom 79% qualify for free or
reduced price lunch and 77% are students of color. Of the 58 schools in the district, 28 have been given
“priority” status by the state and 16 more have been given “focus” status. Within the district, a sizable
number of students do not meet state standards, and only about half of those who attend high school
graduate with a diploma. Superintendent Brown is building a talented and committed leadership team
to partner with her in moving BPS towards the ambitious goal of preparing all students for success.
BPS is committed ensuring that each school is led by an excellent leader and each classroom a highly
effective teacher. The Chief of Talent Management will develop and implement a proactive human
assets strategy to ensure that the district is able to recruit, develop and retain the best talent in
schools and central office.
This is an exciting opportunity for a seasoned human capital leader with a passion for talent
management best practices to have a lasting impact on the way the Buffalo Public Schools serves
its students and families.
The Chief of Talent Management will report to the Superintendent or a designee. This person will manage a
team of thirty (30) HR professionals with five (5) direct reports. The Chief of Talent Management will
share supervisory responsibility for six (6) professionals with the Chiefs of School Leadership.
The Chief of Talent Management will be responsible for the following:
Human Capital Leadership
- Align the human resources system so that all elements (recruitment, selection, staffing, induction/mentoring, professional development, performance management/evaluation, compensation and instructional leadership) are focused on BPS’ instructional vision.
- Cultivate and promote a professional culture defined by high expectations for learning and student achievement, a shared understanding of effective instructional practices, and support for the district’s educational improvement strategy.
- Serve as a key member of BPS’ executive team, acting as a thought partner and ensuring that leadership decisions consider the implications for the district’s professional culture and ability to attract and retain high-quality professionals.
- Inform best practice for the design of the central office organization to ensure that the district is truly organized to support school success.
- Partner with key district leaders to effectively manage the collective bargaining process, helping to develop bargaining priorities and impact analysis for various approaches.
- Ensure the highest levels of employee customer service through effective, timely and high-quality BPS employee transaction review and processing.
- Other duties as assigned
Talent Recruitment and Selection
- Develop and launch a recruitment strategy to attract high-quality educators and instructional support staff to the district through targeted national, regional and local outreach efforts.
- Leverage internal and external resources to highlight the district's resources and benefits with potential candidates and program partners.
- Ensure a strong pipeline of talent for the district by proactively building strategic partnerships and building systems to attract and identify aspiring educators with potential to be excellent teachers and leaders.
Talent Management and Leadership Development
- Lead the design and implementation of performance evaluations for all BPS staff, ensuring that evaluations are supported by valid and reliable measures of performance and explicitly linked to the district’s instructional vision and mission.
- Support the design of an accountability system for each school, which incorporates feedback structures and the collection and dissemination of data to inform and enhance instruction and effective instructional leadership.
- Design development pathways linked to the evaluation system, working closely with the Chief of Curriculum, Assessment, and Instruction and the Chiefs of School Leadership to develop and manage teacher and principal induction and mentorship programs and professional development programs.
District-wide Capacity Building
- Work closely with principals to develop personnel policies that provide them with the flexibility needed to recruit and select high performing teachers and the accountability needed to ensure that students are all achieving at high levels.
- Ensure that school leaders are the key performance managers at the building level, enabling each principal to develop a school-specific talent management strategy.
- Create and oversee fair and supportive assistance plans for underperforming employees and timely decision making for exits when appropriate.
- Prepare reports and analysis to enable data driven talent management decisions by schools, the human resources team, and district and senior leadership.
Individuals serving as Chief of Talent Management will demonstrate the ability to:
- Develop, articulate, and build buy in to a clear vision and mission
- Motivate, inspire, develop and move other adults to action to achieve ambitious goals
- Execute complex projects, including high level of attention to detail, organizational skills, ability to balance the big picture with detailed steps to reach the end goal, and ability to balance multiple projects under tight deadlines
- Build systems and policies necessary to bring solutions to scale
- Prioritize and align people, time, and resources to the most important issues
- Clearly articulate organizational priorities and policies to diverse audiences
- Envision, develop, and implement effective systems for attracting, hiring, and retaining the highest quality talent for an organization like BPS
- Emphasize the importance of talent management’s role serving the district’s employees, managers, and especially students in every communication with internal and external stakeholders
- Hold the highest customer service standards for themselves and others and enforce these expectations in their words and actions
Appointment will be made by the Superintendent following assessment of training, experience,
credentials and evaluation of service. Personal interviews shall be scheduled where appropriate.
SALARY: By contractual agreement.
FUNDING: Pending funding
FOR FILING: Until Position is Filled
Dr. PAMELA C. BROWN,
SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications