School Clerk RB 13-48
|Title:||School Clerk RB 13-48|
BUFFALO BOARD OF EDUCATION
DEPARTMENT OF TALENT MANAGEMENT
ROOM 720 CITY HALL
BUFFALO, NEW YORK 14202
RECRUITMENT BULLETIN #13-48 September 26, 2013
BUFFALO BOARD OF EDUCATION VACANCY
POSITION: SCHOOL CLERK – TEMPORARY (4 VACANCIES)
$35,189 - $40,593
LOCATION: PS 17 EARLY CHILDHOOD CENTER, 1045 W DELAVAN AVENUE PS 31 HARRIET ROSS TUBMAN SCHOOL, 212 STANTON STREET
PS 53 COMMUNITY SCHOOL, 329 ROERHER AVENUE
PS 84 HEALTH CARE CENTER FOR CHILDREN @ ECMC, 462 GRIDER ST
- Relieves Principal/Assistant Principal and directs the activities of the administrative office of the school:
- acts as a liaison between the Principal/Assistant Principal and office/building personnel and faculty members;
- Reproduces and types from various sources letters, bulletins, forms and memoranda pertaining to a school office;
- composes and types original written communications;
- Compiles weekly, monthly and annual reports and records;
- maintains and updates records on same;
- Compiles, enters and maintains bi-weekly payrolls of faculty and school staff;
- Receives visitors, answers inquiries and callers and refers them to proper school officials;
- Receives, sorts, and distributes incoming mail;
- Prepares, maintains and inputs permanent record cards of pupils;
- prepares and issues transcripts of pupils’ records to high schools, colleges and universities;
- Requisitions materials and supplies as approved:
- checks upon delivery and issues to faculty members/staff;
- May be required to receive, count and deposit all monies that pass through the office:
- issues receipts and maintains financial records/reports of same;
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- May operate telephone switchboard and other office equipment including typewriter, CRT terminal, personal computer, word processor, printer and related office equipment;
- May be required to open the school doors for callers to enter the building;
- May be required to take charge of the administrative office during summer months, when school is not in session or when directed by the Principal/Assistant Principal;
- Performs related duties as required.
- Thorough knowledge of office terminology, procedures and equipment;
- Thorough knowledge of Business Arithmetic and English;
- Clerical aptitude;
- Ability to operate a typewriter/alpha-numeric keyboard at 35 wpm to produce an accurate and clean copy;
- Ability to be trained in the operation of CRT terminal, personal computer, word processor, printer and related office equipment;
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written directions;
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of subordinates;
- Ability to establish an effective working relationship with pupils, parents and school officials;
- Courtesy; tact; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Applicants must have continuous and permanent status in any city department for one year as an Account Clerk-Typist, Account Clerk-Stenographer, Administrative Aide, Legal Secretary, Legal Stenographer, Report Technician, Senior Account Clerk-Typist, Senior Account Clerk-Stenographer, Senior Stenographer, Senior Typist, Stenographer, Typist or Typist (Spanish Speaking).
In addition, all applicants must have completed a course in typing or keyboarding, which must be listed on application.
Special Requirement: Applicants must pass a qualifying keyboarding test at 35 wpm.
Applicants that have previously qualified on a qualifying typing/keyboarding test at 35 wpm administered by the City of Buffalo Civil Service, for examination purposes, will not be required to participate in another typing/keyboarding test.
Note: Candidates will only be allowed to participate in an exam and be approved or certified for appointment to departments where the rate of pay for School Clerk is at a higher rate of pay than their current position, even if their title is listed above.
(A) Associate’s Degree from an accredited college or business institute in Secretarial Science or a closely related field including a course typing or keyboarding (course must be listed on application) and one year of full-time experience where work involves the operation of an alpha numeric keyboard;
(B) Graduation from High School, GED or Equivalency Diploma including or supplemented by a course in typing or keyboarding (course must be listed on application) and three years of full-time clerical experience, one year of which must have been in the operation of an alpha numeric keyboard.
Note: Verifiable part-time experience will be pro-rated to meet full-time experience requirements. Proof of education must be presented at time of appointment.
APPLICATION: CANDIDATES FOR THIS POSITION SHOULD COMPLETE AN APPLICATION AVAILABLE ONLINE AT www.buffaloschools.org (Recruitment Bulletin number must be included on application)
APPOINTMENT: Appointments are subject to the review of the Board of Education upon the recommendation of the Superintendent following the approval of the City of Buffalo Civil Service Division. Personal interviews shall be scheduled where appropriate.
The Buffalo Board of Education is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
FINAL FILING DATE: October 10, 2013
Darren J. Brown
Chief of Talent Management
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications