Asst. Supt Curriculum Assess.& Leadership RB13-03a
|Title:||Asst. Supt Curriculum Assess.& Leadership RB13-03a|
RECRUITMENT BULLETIN #13-03a ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDENT OF CURRICULUM,
SEPTEMBER 11, 2013 ASSESSMENT AND LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT
NOTICE OF POSITION
The Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Pamela C. Brown, is interested in receiving
applications from qualified candidates for the position of:
ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDENT OF CURRICULUM,
ASSESSMENT & LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT
Candidates must complete an online application form, available at www.buffaloschools.org.
Candidates must have a Master’s degree, and a New York State School District Administrator (SDA),
or School District Leader (SDL) certificate by the time of appointment. Candidates must have a
minimum of eight years combined certificated teaching and supervisory experience, with a minimum of
four (4) years at the supervisory level. Candidates with prior administrative experience in an urban
school district with a large racially and ethnically diverse population are preferred.
Buffalo Public Schools (BPS) has begun a period of change that seeks to transform the district and its
schools. With the appointment of Superintendent Pamela Brown and a significant level of local, state,
and federal attention and investment, Buffalo has an incredible opportunity to ensure that all of its
students graduate prepared to succeed in college or a well-paying career.
Currently, BPS has 58 schools serving approximately 34,000 students, of whom 79% qualify for free or
reduced price lunch and 77% are students of color. Of the 58 schools in the district, 28 have been given
“priority” status by the state and 16 more have been given “focus” status. Within the district, a sizable
number of students do not meet state standards, and only about half of those who attend high school
graduate with a diploma. Superintendent Brown is building a talented and committed leadership team
to partner with her in moving BPS towards the ambitious goal of preparing all students for success.
The Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum, Assessment, and Leadership Development —working
with another Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum, Assessment, and Leadership Development as
well as the Chief of Curriculum, Assessment, and Instruction—will play a crucial role in ensuring
that BPS realizes it mission of college and career readiness for all students in Buffalo. Under the
direction of the Chief of Curriculum, Assessment, and Instruction, each Assistant Superintendent
will supervise a team responsible for the development, updating, implementation, and monitoring
of curricula, assessments and professional development.
The Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum, Assessment, and Leadership Development reports to
the Chief of Curriculum, Assessment, and Instruction. This is a non-cabinet position.
Superintendent Brown and the Chief of Curriculum, Assessment, and Instruction are deeply committed
to ensuring that every student graduates college and career ready. Doing so requires that teachers
and school leaders have access to and training in the best possible curricula, resources, and assessments.
Specifically, the Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum, Assessment, and Leadership Development will
be responsible for the following:
- Work with the Chief of Curriculum, Assessment, and Instruction and another Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum, Assessment, and Instruction to organize efforts and resources to support district’s transition to the Common Core State Standards and new assessments.
- Help to define college and career readiness and to develop curricular pathways to ensure students’ success.
- Identify and address curricular gaps and weaknesses serving as barriers to students graduating college and career ready.
- Oversee the development, implementation, and monitoring of curricula, curricular resources, formative assessments, and support programs.
- Oversee the development and implementation of training for teachers and administrators for effective implementation of curricula, curricular resources, formative assessments, and support programs.
- Work collaboratively with the department of School Leadership to ensure effective implementation of curricula, curricular resources, formative assessments, and support programs and to ensure that high-impact instructional strategies are being used by all teachers
- Supervise a team of directors in key areas.
- Support Chief of Curriculum, Assessment, and Instruction and fellow Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum, Assessment, and Leadership Development in overall supervision of the department.
- Help to implement the “one-stop shop” under the department of School Leadership by providing and supporting staff serving as experts for curricula, assessment, and program implementation for schools.
- Other duties as assigned
- Facilitate the professional development of principals and assistant principals as directed by the Chiefs of School Leadership
- Assist principals in offering professional development opportunities at their school site
- Help principals identify staff needs and suggest leadership strategies to promote continuous improvement in performance
- Other Staff development duties as assigned
Individuals serving as Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum, Assessment and Leadership Development
will demonstrate the following:
- Demonstrated experience and courage to ensure that all students achieve
- Ability to work collaboratively to develop and support implementation of curricula, curricular resources, assessments, support programs, and high-impact instructional strategies in support of school turnaround and school improvement
- Strong leadership capabilities
- Strong management, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency managing a data-based, change-management process, and expertise in assessing, understanding and using data to identify opportunities that will accelerate learning for all students
- Demonstrated experience with providing high quality professional development, including delivery, scheduling, research, etc.
Appointment will be made by the Superintendent following an assessment of training, experience,
credentials and evaluation of service. Personal interviews shall be scheduled where appropriate.
SALARY: By contractual agreement.
FUNDING: Pending Funding
FOR FILING: SEPTEMBER 24, 2013
DR. PAMELA C. BROWN,
SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications