Chief of Accountability & Data Mngt RB #13-28
|Title:||Chief of Accountability & Data Mngt RB #13-28|
DescriptionRECRUITMENT BULLETIN #13-28 April 17, 2013
POSITION: CHIEF OF ACCOUNTABILITY AND DATA MANAGEMENT - EXEMPT
BY CONTRACTUAL AGREEMENT
Buffalo Public Schools (BPS) has begun a period of change that seeks to transform the district and its schools. With the appointment of Superintendent Pamela Brown and a significant level of local, state, and federal attention and investment, Buffalo has an incredible opportunity to ensure that all of its students graduate prepared to succeed in college or a well-paying career.
Currently, BPS has 58 schools serving approximately 34,000 students, of whom 79% qualify for free or reduced price lunch and 77% are students of color. Of the 58 schools in the district, 28 have been given “priority” status by the state and 16 more have been given “focus” status. Within the district, a sizable number of students do not meet state standards, and only about half of those who attend high school graduate with a diploma. Superintendent Brown is building a talented and committed leadership team to partner with her in moving BPS towards the ambitious goal of preparing all students for success.
- Leads the design and implementation of the district’s strategy to properly measure and report on student achievement through the use of in-district student assessments (annual and interims), state and national testing, and the tracking of other important district data related to student, school and staff performance.
- Leads the research, evaluation and data management team to prepare, analyze, and interpret data and key information, designing new processes and systems as needed.
- Ensures that the district meets all of its federal, state, and local accountability requirements; enforce a commitment to the highest level of accuracy and integrity for all data collected and reported.
- Serves as a key voice for the effective use of data in district-wide decision-making practices, assisting with the development of district-wide goals and strategic planning.
- Ensures that district data management processes and systems reflect best practice, maintaining awareness of current education resources and trends and serving as a resource to others throughout the district.
- Serves as liaison between District departments in developing, coordinating, and reporting data related to instructional improvement, leading all research projects conducted by outside agencies.
- Collaborates with other Chiefs to evaluate key initiatives, inform the Superintendent and Board of Education about the effectiveness of district programming, and recommend improvements.
- Collaborates with other Chiefs, divisions and departments to educate, advise, and provide supports and tools to school leaders and teachers so that they may use data effectively to improve student performance.
- Ensures that all school administrators and their staff meet local, state, and federal accountability requirements related to monitoring attendance, electronic records, and information related to student academic performance.
- Oversees assistance to school administrators in the legal and appropriate use of accommodations and modifications in assessment administration.
- Oversees the preparation and administration of all state and district assessments.
- Leads the strategy for and ensure accurate development of reports for all district accountability matters, presenting this information to schools, district staff and state representatives in a timely manner.
- Reviews and makes strategic interpretations of assessment results, ensuring that all accountability reports are clear and actionable by district and school site personnel, as well as disseminated to and easily understood by the public and other stakeholders.
- Serves as the key spokesperson to the Superintendent, school board and the community regarding all data and assessment issues. Explain clearly the importance of data and assessment measures and build support for their application in Buffalo.
- Serves as primary liaison to the New York State Department of Education regarding BPS accountability matters.
- Develops and executes strategic plans to optimize the use of IT in support of District goals and technology objectives;
- Participates in policy and decision-making regarding resource allocation and future direction and control of IT in the schools;
- Advises on evaluation, selection, implementation and maintenance of IT, ensuring appropriate investment in strategic and operational systems;
- provides responsive advice, communicates concerns and reports on trends in the IT industry;
- Coordinates all projects related to selection, acquisition, development and installation of IT;
- Develops and maintains policies and standards relating to the acquisition, implementation and operation of IT and communications systems;
- Establishes IT service level agreements with user organizations and monitors IT systems performance to assure service levels are being met;
- Researches and evaluates alternatives for the enhancement or re-engineering of IT;
- Develops, coordinates and manages the incorporation of enhancements to and re-engineering of the District’s systems, in keeping with the needs and objectives of the enterprise;
- Ensures that enterprise information systems operate according to internal standards, external accrediting agency standards and legal requirements;
- Develops and enforces policy and procedures to ensure the protection of District IT assets and the integrity, security and privacy of information entrusted to or maintained by the District, including student records;
- Develops and maintains an enterprise-wide recovery plan to ensure timely and effective restoration of IT services in the event of a disaster;
- Leads the development of RFP’s for the competitive acquisition of state of the art technology systems to ensure that all district programs and services operate smoothly;
- Maintains contact with IT suppliers and maintains knowledge of current technology, equipment, prices and terms of agreements to minimize the investment required to meet established service levels;
- evaluates alternatives, performs appropriate cost benefit analysis and recommends solutions that minimize costs commensurate with acceptable risks;
- facilitates negotiations for all IT acquisitions contracts and advises on same;
- reviews District-wide hardware and software acquisition and maintenance contracts, soliciting involvement and participation of other management team members as appropriate;
- develops, when possible and appropriate, District=wide master purchase or lease agreements for hardware, software, maintenance and telecommunication services;
- Performs related duties as required.
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Management Information systems or a closely related field and eight years of full-time administrative experience in a school or business setting that includes the design and/or development of an integrated management information system with telecommunications functions and services, and in the areas of assessment and educational accountability measures;
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university and a New York State School District Administrator (SDA) or School District Leader (SDL) certificate and eight years of supervisory experience in school- and or system-wide education programs, particularly in the areas of assessment and educational accountability measures as well as experience in the design and/or development of an integrated management information system with telecommunications functions and services;
- A satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience; however, all candidates must have a Master’s degree and demonstrated evidence of the ability to successfully organize, direct and administer a comprehensive assessment and accountability as well as information technology operations as delineated in the performance responsibilities set forth above
Verifiable part-time experience will be pro-rated to meet full-time experience requirements. Proof of education must be presented a time of appointment.
CANDIDATES FOR THIS POSITION SHOULD COMPLETE AN APPLICATION AVAILABLE ONLINE AT www.buffaloschools.org
(Recruitment Bulletin number must
be included on application)
Appointments are subject to the review of the Board of Education upon the recommendation of the Superintendent following the approval of the City of Buffalo Civil Service Division. Personal interviews shall be scheduled where appropriate.
The Buffalo Board of Education is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
FINAL FILING DATE:
Until position is filled.
Dr. Pamela C. Brown
Superintendent of Schools
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications