Chief of Strategic Alignment & Innovation RB13-115
|Title:||Chief of Strategic Alignment & Innovation RB13-115|
RECRUITMENT BULLETIN 13-115 CHIEF OF STRATEGIC ALIGNMENT & INNOVATION
DECEMBER 11, 2013 EXEMPT
NOTICE OF POSITION
The Superintendent of Schools, Pamela C. Brown, Ed.D., is interested in receiving applications from qualified candidates for the position of:
CHIEF OF STRATEGIC ALIGNMENT & INNOVATION - EXEMPT
Candidates interested in applying must complete an online application on the district web site at: www.buffaloschools.org
Candidates must have a Master’s degree, and a New York State School District Administrator (SDA), or School District Leader (SDL) certificate by the time of appointment, with 5-8 years of management experience. Candidates with prior administrative experience in an urban school district with a large racially and economically diverse population are preferred.
Buffalo Public Schools (BPS) has begun a period of change that seeks to transform the district and its schools. With the appointment of Superintendent Pamela Brown and a significant level of local, state, and federal attention and investment, Buffalo has an incredible opportunity to ensure that all of its students graduate prepared to succeed in college or a well-paying career.
Currently, BPS has 58 schools serving approximately 34,000 students, of whom 79% qualify for free or reduced price lunch and 77% are students of color. Of the 58 schools in the district, 28 have been given “priority” status by the state and 16 more have been given “focus” status. Within the district, a sizable number of students do not meet state standards, and only about half of those who attend high school graduate with a diploma. Superintendent Brown is building a talented and committed leadership team to partner with her in moving BPS towards the ambitious goal of preparing all students for success.
The Chief of Strategic Alignment and Innovation will play a crucial role in ensuring that BPS realizes its district and school transformation goals. S/he will lead the implementation of the district’s high-leverage state and federal grants, including Race to the Top and School Improvement Grants, and ensure the effective implementation of the district’s strategies for turning around its lowest performing schools.
The Chief of Strategic Alignment and Innovation will act as thought partner, problem solver, and change agent to internal and external stakeholders with an unwavering commitment to getting the job done.
The Chief of Strategic Alignment and Innovation will report to the Deputy Superintendent.
Specifically, the Chief of Strategic Alignment and Innovation will be responsible for the following:
- Serve as the district’s primary liaison to the New York State Department of Education regarding BPS’ school turnaround and improvement priorities.
- Manage the implementation of high-leverage district grants, including Race to the Top and School Improvement Grants, as well as BPS’ strategy for significantly improving its lowest-performing schools.
- Identify high-potential strategies that can dramatically accelerate student achievement. Provide support to existing departments and/or secure external experts to pilot ideas, evaluate efficacy, and eventually embed successful, sustainable initiatives into the fabric of BPS.
- Serve as the principal advisor to the Superintendent’s leadership team on turnaround schools and technical expert to senior management, including providing clear, accurate reporting to enable informed decisions.
- Work with fellow cabinet members to organize district-wide efforts and resources to support district’s strategy for school turnaround, school improvement, and instruction and supports for students.
- Work with fellow cabinet members and staff to define and phase in the district’s “earned-autonomy” model for schools.
- Publicly champion turnaround efforts with internal and external partners.
- Ensure the District Strategic Plan is implemented in a timely fashion and all deadlines are met.
- Work, in conjunction with the Chiefs of School Leadership and the Chief of Curriculum, Assessment and Instruction, to develop and ultimately enhance the School Review process – including, but not limited to all aspects of the DTSDE review tool.
- Assume primary responsibility for monitoring the implementation of district’s strategy for school turnaround, school improvement, and instruction and supports for students in the district’s “priority schools” and adjust strategy as needed.
- Work with Chiefs of School Leadership to review and evaluate writing and implementation of the Schools Comprehensive Educational Plan (SCEP) for effectiveness.
- Oversee all school monitoring activities required by State.
- Co-develop the template for the SCEP; review and approve all SCEPs.
- Plan and implement SCEP Peer Review process sessions for school teams.
- Work with Chiefs of School Leadership to forecast resource needs for priority schools; develop budgets, identify appropriate resources, and approve financial plans for those schools.
- Work with Chief of Talent Management and Chiefs of School Leadership to develop staffing plans to ensure that priority schools are led by excellent school leaders and highly effective teachers.
- Oversee and monitor federal and state turnaround grant budgets.
- Act as designee for Superintendent.
- Other duties as assigned
Individuals serving as Chief of Strategic Alignment and Innovation will demonstrate the following:
- Strategic vision and courage to ensure that all students achieve
- Ability to work collaboratively to support school turnaround and school improvement
- Strong management, communication, and interpersonal skills
- An ability to identify, diagnose, and prioritize key issues
- An ability to find innovative solutions to seemingly intractable problems
- Excellent execution and project management skills
- A track record for establishing clear metrics for success and regular monitoring of progress towards goals
Appointment will be made by the Superintendent following assessment of training, experience, credentials and evaluation of service. Personal interviews shall be scheduled where appropriate.
SALARY: By contractual agreement. Salary range of $115,000 - $120,000
FUNDING: Pending funding
FOR FILING: Until the Position is Filled
DR. PAMELA C. BROWN,
SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications