RECRUITMENT BULLETIN #13-53 October 9, 2013
BUFFALO BOARD OF EDUCATION VACANCY
POSITION: TELECOMMUNICATIONS TECHNICIAN (Temporary)
$44,375 - $51,643
LOCATION: Information Technology, Service Center, 105 Bailey Avenue
- Troubleshoots and performs general repairs on telephone station equipment including signal line, multi-line and lA2 or electronic key equipment;
- performs program changes on same;
- Installs, documents and troubleshoots telecommunications wiring and equipment including cable plant installation and maintenance, telecommunications equipment configurations, deployment and maintenance for ancillary technology (voice mail), management systems for auto call distribution, facsimile systems; etc.;
- determines if installations are functioning correctly and equipment is as
- Assists in the development of standards, designs, procurement implementation and testing of new/revised telecommunication systems;
- Supervises and/or coordinates the work of assigned employees and vendors who are installing or repairing telecommunication systems and equipment;
- Queries and updates telecommunications data bases in computerized telecommunications management systems;
- provides training and instruction on operations and uses of
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- May determine equipment needs after consulting with department heads and defining communication needs;
- Keeps abreast of current telecommunication systems, equipment and technology in a rapidly changing field;
- Performs related work in the field of telecommunications as deemed necessary.
FULL PEFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS (cont’d.)
- Thorough knowledge of telecommunication equipment, terminology and techniques;
- Thorough knowledge of telecommunication and cost benefit analysis techniques;
- Good knowledge of the principles and practices of the telephone industry;
- Good knowledge of the operating industry standard telephone test equipment and procedures for telephone system set-up and maintenance;
- Ability to analyze program requirements in terms of telecommunication needs;
- Ability to read and interpret engineering prints and diagrams in terms of telecommunications;
- Ability to use standard telephone tools and equipment and discriminate colors used for standard wiring coding;
- Ability to climb ladders and scaffolding;
- Ability to get along well with others;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
(A) Bachelors Degree from an accredited college or university in Telecommunications and one year of full time hands-on experience in the field of telecommunications where work involved the installation, maintenance and repair of a large telephone system (over l,000 lines);
(B) Associates Degree from an accredited college or university in Telecommunications and three years of full time hands-on experience in the field of telecommunications where work involved the installation, maintenance and repair of a large telephone system (over l,000 lines);
(C) Graduation from High School, GED or Equivalency Diploma or and five years of full time hands-on experience in the field of telecommunications where work involved the installation, maintenance and repair of a large telephone system (over l,000 lines);
(D) an equivalent combination as defined within limits of A through C.
CANDIDATES FOR THIS POSITION SHOULD COMPLETE AN APPLICATION AVAILABLE ONLINE AT www.buffaloschools.org
(Recruitment Bulletin number must
be included on application)
Appointments are subject to the review of the Board of Education upon the recommendation of the Superintendent following the approval of the City of Buffalo Civil Service Division. Personal interviews shall be scheduled where appropriate.
The Buffalo Board of Education is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
FINAL FILING DATE: October 23, 2013
Director of Recruitment and Employment Services