ESL Coordinator - Lafayette HS RB #13-62
|Title:||ESL Coordinator - Lafayette HS RB #13-62|
RECRUITMENT BULLETIN #13-62 ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGAUGE
SEPTEMBER 20, 2013 COORDINATOR – LAFAYETTE HS
NOTICE OF POSITION
The Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Pamela C. Brown, is interested in receiving applications from qualified
candidates for the position of:
ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGAUGE (ESL)
COORDINATOR @ LAFAYETTE HS
Candidates must complete an application by clicking on the “APPLY” button below. Once the form is complete,
click the “SUBMIT” button.
Candidates must hold a New York State teaching certificate in English as a Second Language.
Candidates must have excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills. They must be
able to work cooperatively with individuals and groups in problem solving, develop a strong collegial
and collaborative relationship with other teachers in the building, have a strong sense of responsibility
for the academic and developmental welfare of students, and are able and willing to create an environment
that stimulates learning and the personal development of children.
A strong knowledge of second language acquisition, research based instructional strategies for teaching
English language learners (ELLs), cultural considerations, technology, the elementary curriculum for all
subjects, and a fundamental understanding of the federal and state laws governing programs and
services for ELLs, including CR Part 154 and Title III regulations is required. Candidates must have
demonstrated leadership skills and teaching experience in ESL or a classroom with a high ELL enrollment.
English as a Second Language Coordinator acts as a pedagogical leader in the school and has a central
function in the organization of the program. The coordinator maintains contact with school administration,
subject area leaders, teachers, students, parents, and the Department of Multilingual Education. Additional
duties include, but are not limited to:
- Ensures compliance with Part 154 and Title III regulations and assurances.
- Provides in-service training to school staff.
- Ensures that teachers possess all relevant documentation, keeps up to date and informs all staff of recent developments and new publications.
- Assists in setting up systems for communication and cooperation of the entire professional staff in implementing the program.
- Assists teacher in maintaining accurate records/portfolios of all students.
- Oversees the implementation of the English as a Second Language curriculum.
- Assists teachers, staff, and parents with acculturation and intercultural understanding.
- Assists staff in examining ELL data and using it to drive instruction for ELLs.
- Assists staff in preparing lessons differentiated to meet the needs of varied students based on their language proficiency levels.
- Assists in developing and maintaining a budget for ELL specific materials, extended learning opportunities, professional learning opportunities, etc.
- Registers, participates in, and sets up training for staff.
- Initiates and coordinates special programming for students and parents.
- Coordinates partnerships with external agencies.
- Educates community regarding programs for ELLs.
- Assists school principal, SBMT and PTO in implementing special initiatives that support the school programs.
- Maintain the ESL subpage of the schools webpage to inform and educate parents.
- Performs such other duties and assumes such other responsibilities as may be assigned or arise due to the nature of the position.
- Ensures regular, effective communication with parents (in the home language to the extent possible).
Appointment will be made by the Board of Education upon the recommendation of the Superintendent
following assessment of training, experience, credentials and evaluation of service. Personal interviews
shall be scheduled where appropriate.
SALARY: Teachers salary schedule based on BTF contract.
FUNDING: Pending Funding
FOR FILING: OCTOBER 3, 2013
DR. PAMELA C. BROWN
SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications