BOARD OF EDUCATION
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
BUFFALO, NEW YORK 14202
RECRUITMENT BULLETIN #RB 19-418
ASSISTANT FOOTBALL COACH
2020-2021 SCHOOL YEAR
MAY 29, 2020
NOTICE OF POSITION
POSITION: The Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Kriner Cash, is interested in receiving applications from qualified candidates for the position of:
ASSISTANT FOOTBALL COACH
Position is responsible for coaching student athletes in game strategies and techniques to prepare them for athletic competition.
Candidates must complete an online application at www.buffaloschools.org/jobs
Applications successfully received will generate a confirmation email to the account listed on the application. If you do not receive a confirmation email, we cannot guarantee that your application was received. You must submit an application until you receive a confirmation email.
In accordance with the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education Section 135.4:
Potential candidates must meet the first aid/CPR requirement prior to starting to coach.
A person who holds a valid certificate to teach physical education may coach any sport in any school, but first must meet the first aid/CPR requirement prior to coaching.
Other Certified Teachers and Non-Teacher Coaches must complete one of the two pathways within the specified time frame:
- New York State Coaching Certification program offered by Erie 1 BOCES or
- NFHS NYS Specific Second Pathway Process
More information can be found here: http://www.section6.e1b.org/domain/123
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
Some experience in organized football at the club, select, modified, junior varsity, varsity or college level preferred. Must possess effective coaching techniques and skills. Must possess knowledge of the rules, regulations, strategies, and techniques of the sport. Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school administrators, parents, and students.
Candidates must be employed by the Board of Education in accordance with Article XII-G of the Master Contract between the Buffalo Board of Education and the Buffalo Teacher’s Federation.
SUPERVISOR: Athletics Director and Building Principal or Principal Designee
- Adhere to the NFHS Coaches Code of Ethics.
- Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
- Assume complete responsibility for the conduct of their team.
- Assume responsibility for the philosophy and teachings of the entire athletic program, if applicable.
- Be available for contests and practices at the start of the athletic season, Monday through Saturday and some holidays.
- Supervise the use, issuance, return, cleaning, inventory, and storage of equipment, uniforms, and supplies.
- Submit equipment and supply requests to the Athletic Director.
- Establish positive relationships with coaches, athletes, parents, and community members.
- Attend meetings called by the Athletic Director or Building Principal. Attend league, section, and coaches’ association meetings when required.
- Conduct an organization meeting with the athletes to explain try-outs, methods of selection, cutting procedures, and code of conduct as prescribed the District and NYSPHSAA.
- Prepare and submit a schedule of scrimmages and non-league contest to the Athletic Director in a timely manner.
- Follows established procedures set by the District and Medical staff in the event of an athlete’s injury.
- Submit initial and final roster to the Athletic Director and update as necessary
- Report scores to news media when required as prescribed in the Section VI Handbook.
- Notify the Athletic Director and Building staff of any cancelled games, scrimmages or practices and any unusual events or incidents.
- Supervise team members after practices/games until all have left the locker room, picked up by parents, or left the building and/or grounds.
- Complete end of season reports.
- Comply with all policies and procedures outlines in the NYS Commissioners regulations, NYSPHSAA Section VI and BPS Interscholastic Athletic Handbook.
- Make decisions regarding his/her particular team, in keeping with established policies and procedures. However, when decisions are of a broader scope and affect other coaches and other teams or when the problem clearly falls within the jurisdiction of the Athletic Director, action should be reserved for the Director to review and discuss the matter more fully.
- Assesses player’s skills, monitors players during competition and practice.
- Models sports-like behavior and maintains appropriate conduct towards players, officials, and spectators.
- Participate in special activities that include parent’s night, banquets, award nights, and pep assemblies.
- Performs support tasks such as distributing and maintaining eligibility forms, emergency data cards, and other related records.
- Attends staff development meetings, clinics and other professional activities to improve coaching performance.
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by the, Athletic Director & Principal or other appropriate administrator.
SALARY: As per the current BTF contract.
FUND #: Pending funding
FOR FILING: June 11, 2020
DR. KRINER CASH,
SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS