Chief of Operations RB #13-25
|Title:||Chief of Operations RB #13-25|
DescriptionRECRUITMENT BULLETIN #13-25 April 17, 2013
POSITION: CHIEF OF OPERATIONS - EXEMPT
Buffalo Public Schools (BPS) has begun a period of change that seeks to transform the district and its schools. With the appointment of Superintendent Pamela Brown and a significant level of local, state, and federal attention and investment, Buffalo has an incredible opportunity to ensure that all of its students graduate prepared to succeed in college or a well-paying career.
Currently, BPS has 58 schools serving approximately 34,000 students, of whom 79% qualify for free or reduced price lunch and 77% are students of color. Of the 58 schools in the district, 28 have been given “priority” status by the state and 16 more have been given “focus” status. Within the district, a sizable number of students do not meet state standards, and only about half of those who attend high school graduate with a diploma. Superintendent Brown is building a talented and committed leadership team to partner with her in moving BPS towards the ambitious goal of preparing all students for success.
- Negotiates and administers contracts for goods, services and risk management;
- Oversees facilities planning and design, school utilization, real estate management, construction design and inspection, and building, grounds and equipment;
- Oversees the administration of environmental health and safety programs;
- Oversees the administration of all functions and matters associated with school and District safety and security, including collaboration with City departments, community agencies, and business partners to develop intervention and preventive strategies for student safety;
- Leads and manages the administration of all transportation service functions including the executionof contracts, routing and scheduling in coordination with teaching and learning leadership and principals;
- Leads and manages the administration and coordination of all food services functions including the execution of food service contracts and school-related functions;
- Works with Chief Financial Officer to monitor District expenditures and to manage District cash flow over the course of the budget cycle;
- Collaborate with the Finance department to ensure the efficient and timely reimbursement to the District for school construction projects;
- Consults with the Corporation Counsel and outside counsel to review and analyze laws, rules and regulations, opinions and decisions that affect the financial and operation activities of the District, including school construction legislation and State Education Department regulations for school rehabilitation and construction;
- Provides leadership in the development and review of District policies plans and procedures to provide effective delivery of all Office of Operations functions;
- Strategically and periodically evaluates District operations;
- Identifies opportunities for greater effectiveness, efficiency and cost savings;
- Works with construction manager(s) and school district administrators to coordinate temporary closings of schools for construction work including transferring students, staff, equipment and services;
- works with instructional staff to insure that instructional needs are incorporated into building renovation designs;
- works with financial department staff to insure that all State Education Department requirements are followed to optimize reimbursement rates and timeliness;
- Ensures the design, development and growth of a standards-based and performance driven Office of Operations to include collection, analysis and monitoring of multiple databases as they pertain to the efficient operation of schools and the District;
- Performs related duties as assigned by the Superintendent of Schools or a designee.
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration or Public Administration and eight years of full-time experience as an administrator in an urban school district or private industry, responsible for multiple business or financial operations;
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university (any major) and ten years of full-time experience as an administrator in an urban school district or private industry, responsible for multiple business or financial operations;
- An acceptable New York State Education Department Certification in Educational Administration (School Business Administrator or School District Administrator) and ten years of full-time experience as an administrator in an urban school district or private industry, responsible for multiple business or financial operations.
Verifiable part-time experience will be pro-rated to meet full-time experience requirements. Proof of education must be presented a time of appointment.
CANDIDATES FOR THIS POSITION SHOULD COMPLETE AN APPLICATION AVAILABLE ONLINE AT www.buffaloschools.org
(Recruitment Bulletin number must
be included on application)
Appointments are subject to the review of the Board of Education upon the recommendation of the Superintendent following the approval of the City of Buffalo Civil Service Division. Personal interviews shall be scheduled where appropriate.
The Buffalo Board of Education is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
FINAL FILING DATE:
Until position is filled.
Dr. Pamela C. Brown
Superintendent of Schools
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications