Account Clerk Typist - Perm/Provisional - Security RB #19- 362b
|Title:||Account Clerk Typist - Perm/Provisional - Security RB #19- 362b|
BUFFALO BOARD OF EDUCATION
RECRUITMENT BULLETIN #19-362b October 28, 2020
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
ROOM 720 CITY HALL
BUFFALO, NEW YORK 14204
BUFFALO BOARD OF EDUCATION VACANCY
Civil Service Residency Requirements will apply
POSITION: Account Clerk Typist - Permanent/Provisional
SALARY: $35,956- $40,999
LOCATION: Security Office, Room 422 City Hall, Buffalo, NY 14202
APPLICATION: CANDIDATES FOR THIS POSITION SHOULD COMPLETE AN APPLICATION AVAILABLE ONLINE AT www.buffaloschools.org
Applications successfully received will generate a confirmation email to the account listed on the application. If you do not receive a confirmation email, we cannot guarantee that your application was received. You must submit an application until you receive a confirmation email.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
Incumbents of this position perform routine clerical work in maintaining and checking financial accounts and records requiring substantial part-time operation of equipment with the alpha-numeric keyboard, i.e., typewriters, electronic word processing equipment, CRT and Data Terminals, Personal Computers and printers. A position in this class is characterized by a broad responsibility for the performance of standardized account-keeping practices in maintaining and checking financial accounts and records. Work is routine in nature and as incumbents gain experience on particular assignments and/or unit functions, additional and more complex duties are added. These additional duties, however, do not reach the difficulty or complexity of work associated with the Senior level of this series. Work is reviewed by immediate observation, cross checking or by another step in the account keeping process.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES
- Maintains various account-keeping records;
- Posts entries to ledgers;
- Reconciles balances of accounts with yearly control accounts and general ledger balances;
- Assists in preparing payrolls, tax and assessment rolls, tax bills, and financial statements;
- Prepares, processes and reviews purchase orders, vouchers, bills, fiscal claims, etc.;
- Performs simple audits such as checking amounts on vouchers against receiving copies of orders;
- Maintains simple cost accounts and cost records:
- May be required to transfer account information to spreadsheets;
- Balances daily journal sheets;
- Prepares and makes bank deposits and checks against bank statements;
- May be required to disburse petty cash funds and process service orders to replenish petty cash;
- Operates calculating, check writing and other office machines;
- Types or inputs receipts, payrolls, requisitions, vouchers and other materials from copy or rough drafts using equipment with the alpha-numeric keyboard, i.e. typewriters, electronic word processing equipment, personal computers, etc.
- Assists in the preparation of budget requests and maintains inventory records;
- Assists in the preparation of periodic reports for management and control purposes;
- Maintains and updates employee payroll and paid leave records;
- May answer phones and deals directly with the general public, vendors or contractors providing information about departmental functions and activities;
- May maintain various clerical reports concerning office activities and functions;
- Inputs billing, file maintenance for miscellaneous charges, data, records and information using computers, CRT and Data Terminals word processors, etc.;
- Performs related work as required.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Working knowledge of office terminology, procedures and equipment;
- Arithmetic Ability;
- Clerical aptitude;
- Payroll compilation and account-keeping practices and principles;
- Ability to understand and interpret written, statistical and tabular material;
- Ability to type accurately at 35 wpm.
- Ability to follow directions/instructions; High degree of accuracy;
- Ability to be trained in the operation of personal computers and other computer terminals;
- Physical condition commensurate with the duties of the position.
Continuous and permanent status in any city department for one year as a Clerk, Junior Data Control Clerk, Junior Traffic Clerk, Stenographer or Typist.
IMPORTANT: CANDIDATES WILL ONLY BE ALLOWED TO PARTICIPATE AND BE APPROVED OR CERTIFIED FOR APPOINTMENT TO DEPARTMENTS WHERE THE RATE OF PAY FOR ACCOUNT CLERK-TYPIST IS AT A HIGHER RATE OF PAY THAN THEIR CURRENT POSITION EVEN IF THEIR TITLE IS LISTED ABOVE.
IN ADDITION, applicants must meet the following:
Applicants must have a course in Bookkeeping or Accounting (course must be listed on application);
One year of full time experience where work involves the maintenance and checking of financial accounts and records;
Applicants must have completed a course in typing or keyboarding (course must be listed on application..
Note: Verifiable part-time experience will be pro-rated to meet full-time experience requirements. Proof of education must be presented at time of appointment.
- Graduation from High School, GED or Equivalency Diploma including or supplemented by a course in Bookkeeping or Accounting and must have completed a course in typing or keyboarding (courses must be listed on application);
- Graduation from High School, GED or Equivalency Diploma and two years of full time experience where work involves the maintenance and checking of financial accounts and records and must have completed a course in typing or keyboarding (course must be listed on application);
- an equivalent combination as defined within the limits of A and B
NOTE Verifiable part-time or volunteer experience will be pro-rated to meet the full time experience requirement. Proof of education must be presented at time of appointment.
FINAL FILING DATE: November 12, 2020
Associate Superintendent for Human Resources
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications