BUFFALO BOARD OF EDUCATION
CONTINUOUS POSTING 2020-2021 SCHOOL YEAR
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
ROOM 720 CITY HALL
BUFFALO, NEW YORK 14204
BUFFALO BOARD OF EDUCATION VACANCY
Civil Service Residency Requirements will apply
POSITION: First Class Engineer - Custodian - Provisional/Temporary/Substitutes
SALARY: $36,566 - $42,645
LOCATION: Plant Operations - various school locations
APPLICATION: CANDIDATES FOR THIS POSITION SHOULD COMPLETE AN APPLICATION AVAILABLE ONLINE AT www.buffaloschools.org
Applications successfully received will generate a confirmation email to the account listed on the application. If you do not receive a confirmation email, we cannot guarantee that your application was received. You must submit an application until you receive a confirmation email.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
An incumbent to a position in this class has responsible charge of the operation, grounds maintenance and custodial work of a school building. This is an important engineering-custodial position involving responsibility for the efficient and economical maintenance of a school plant within the amount of funds appropriated by the Board of Education. It entails a high degree of responsibility for the selection of adequate personnel to efficiently maintain the building, supervise operation of a power plant and direct the work of a number of power plant and custodial employees. This position differs from the Chief Engineer-Custodian in that the latter is responsible for a power plant of unlimited horsepower whereas the First Class Engineer-Custodian is responsible for a power plant up to l50 horsepower. Supervision is received from higher-level personnel in the Plant Division. The incumbent exercises supervision over stationary engineers, custodial staff and employees assigned to the First Class Engineer-Custodian.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES
- Plans and directs the work of subordinate employees in the operation and maintenance of boilers, pumps, steam and water piping and other electrical and mechanical equipment in the heating plant;
- Directs, plans and may participate in the operation of boiler and HVAC equipment, preventive maintenance programs, the cleaning of buildings and maintenance of grounds;
- Prepares and administers the annual budget for facility relating to plant operations including salaries and payroll, equipment and supplies, and cost of services;
- Requisitions, receives and accounts for equipment, materials and supplies;
- -maintains inventory and cost records and budget data;
- Requisitions repairs for building equipment and maintains records of same;
- Keeps time records and prepares payroll for employees employed by the First Class Engineer-Custodian;
- -maintains various records concerning salaries, deductions, etc.;
- Operates a personal computer or computer terminal using application programs;
- Receives and handles a variety of requests and complaints from the school principals and/or teachers;
- Authorizes and if necessary supervises the maintenance and repair work to school heating plant equipment;
- Monitors and inspects work performed by private contractors to make certain work conforms in accordance with plans and specifications;
- Performs related work as required.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Thorough knowledge of the construction, operation and maintenance of a power plant up to l50 horsepower and auxiliary equipment;
- Thorough knowledge of building cleaning and maintenance tasks, practices, supplies and equipment;
- Good knowledge of the costs and standards in relation to custodial operations;
- Good knowledge of the tools, terminology and practices of one or more of the skilled trades;
- Working knowledge of budget, payroll and bookkeeping procedures and office practices;
- Ability to plan, assign and supervise the work of employees;
- Ability to maintain complete and accurate records;
- Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to operate a personal computer or computer terminal using application programs;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
(A) Thirty (30) credits hours from an accredit college or university and three years of full-time stationary engineering experience, one year of which must have been in a supervisory capacity where work involves the operation and maintenance of a building or plant, including heating, plumbing, electrical, and janitorial;
(B) Graduation from High School, GED or Equivalency Diploma and five years of full-time stationary engineering experience, one year of which must have been in a supervisory capacity where work involves the operation and maintenance of a building or plant, including heating, plumbing, electrical, and janitorial;
(C) An equivalent combination within the limits of A and B.
- Possession of a First Class Stationary Engineers License issued by the City of Buffalo which must be presented at time of filing application and maintain during employment.
- Possession of a current New York State Driver’s License which must be presented at time of filing application and maintain during employment.
Ms. Jamie Warren
Associate Superintendent for Human Resources