Typist - School #93 -Temporary, 5 Day Posting, RB #20-106
|Title:||Typist - School #93 -Temporary, 5 Day Posting, RB #20-106|
BUFFALO BOARD OF EDUCATION
RECRUITMENT BULLETIN #20-106 October 21, 2020
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
ROOM 720 CITY HALL
BUFFALO, NEW YORK 14202
POSITION: Typist – Temporary
BUFFALO BOARD OF EDUCATION VACANCY
Civil Service Residency Requirements will apply
****5 Day Posting 5 Day Posting****
SALARY: $35,131 – $39,922
LOCATION: Southside School #93, 430 Southside Pkwy, Buffalo, NY 14210
APPLICATION: CANDIDATES FOR THIS POSITION SHOULD COMPLETE AN APPLICATION AVAILABLE ONLINE AT www.buffaloschools.org
Applications successfully received will generate a confirmation email to the account listed on the application. If you do not receive a confirmation email, we cannot guarantee that your application was received. You must submit an application until you receive a confirmation email.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
Typists perform routine clerical work, which involves the operation of equipment requiring the manipulation of a standard alphanumeric keyboard in accordance with standards of acceptable levels of production. The types of equipment used to produce correspondence, reports, charts, etc. include Electronic Word Processing Equipment, Personal Computers, Data Terminals, Printers, etc.. This position is also characterized by a broad responsibility for the performance of non-typing clerical tasks. Work is routine in nature, however, as incumbents gain experience on assignments and unit activities, additional and more complex duties are added. These additional duties do not reach the difficulty or complexity of work associated with the senior level of this series. Although detailed instructions are given for new or difficult assignments with procedures that are definitely fixed, incumbents must exercise independent judgment in applying them to specific cases. Work is reviewed either by observation, periodic or spot checks, cross checking by others or by checking the completed work. (This class is equivalent to that of Clerk with the exception that incumbents must have the ability to type at a reasonable rate of speed.) No supervision is exercised over other employees.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Types correspondence, reports, documents, records and other materials from various sources under varying degrees of direction using equipment with the alphanumeric keyboard;
- sets up, makes adjustments and operates a variety of equipment in order to produce a typed copy from a variety of sources;
- proofreads typed copy and makes corrections;
- composes and types routine correspondence and memoranda from verbal and/or written instructions.
- Performs a variety of non-typing clerical tasks as assigned;
- Files and maintains records, reports and other documents:
- checks for clerical accuracy and completeness;
- opens, dates, sorts, distributes and files mail;
- sorts, indexes and files bills, requisitions, ledger cards and other material alphabetically and/or numerically;
- posts and makes entries from original sources and maintains records, bills, control cards and ledgers;
- makes file searches and pulls needed material.
- Issues and records licenses, permits and applications;
- Collects fees and accounts for monies received;
- Maintains time reports and payroll data;
- Assists in compiling data, statistics and other basic information for research purposes;
- Answers telephone or switchboard: takes messages and gives routine information;
- May act as receptionist, directing callers to proper persons or sources of information
- Inputs and retrieves data using a computer terminal;
- May operate copy machines, microfilm, simple computing and other office machines;
- Performs related duties as required.
- Working knowledge of office terminology, procedures and equipment;
- Working knowledge of proper grammatical usage, punctuation and spelling;
- Working knowledge of business arithmetic;
- Ability to type from clear copy or rough draft at a reasonable rate of speed (35 wpm);
- Ability to be trained in the operation of data processing equipment, computer terminal equipment and related data processing equipment used in the input/output of data;
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written directions;
- Clerical aptitude;
- Ability to write legibly;
- Ability to get along well with others;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Graduation from High School, Business School, GED or Equivalency Diploma, including or supplemented by a course in typing or keyboarding (proof of education/courses must be presented at time of appointment).
FINAL FILING DATE: October 27, 2020
Associate Superintendent for Human Resources
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications