BUFFALO BOARD OF EDUCATION
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
ROOM 720 CITY HALL
BUFFALO, NEW YORK 14202
RECRUITMENT BULLETIN #20-291 April 21, 2021
BUFFALO BOARD OF EDUCATION VACANCY
Civil Service Residency Requirements will apply
POSITION: Supervisor of Bus Aides - Provisional
SALARY: $57,477 - $70,126
LOCATION: Department of Transportation – 105 Bailey Ave, Buffalo, NY 14220
APPLICATION: CANDIDATES FOR THIS POSITION SHOULD COMPLETE AN APPLICATION AVAILABLE ONLINE AT www.buffaloschools.org
Applications successfully received will generate a confirmation email to the account listed on the application. If you do not receive a confirmation email, we cannot guarantee that your application was received. You must submit an application until you receive a confirmation email.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
The Supervisor of Bus Aides is responsible for planning, organizing, leading and controlling the Bus Aide Program for the transportation program of the Buffalo City School District. The incumbent performs these duties primarily in an office environment but may be required to visit schools, bus terminals or other related facilities. S/he will incur routine local travel and is required to be on-call after normal business hours as required. Under direction of the Assistant Superintendent Service Center Operations, the incumbent works independently performing complicated and non-standard assignments, using considerable leeway in determining priorities and independent decision-making to accomplish duties and assignments within deadlines. Supervision is exercised over personnel assigned.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES
- Exercises direct supervision of the Bus Aide Team Leaders and Bus Aide Office clerical staff
- Recruits Bus Aide candidates through advertisements or other recruitment strategies
- Organizes and supervises the interviews of Bus Aide candidates
- Organizes, supervises and conducts the training and certification of new and continuing Bus Aides in accordance with NYS SED and District requirements
- Organizes and supervises the assignment of Bus Aides to bus routes
- Organizes and supervises the processing of Bus Aide payroll and unemployment records
- Organizes, supervises, conducts and documents Bus Aide disciplinary actions
- Serves as the primary manager of appropriate student conduct on the busses
- Organizes and supervises the investigation and resolution of bus problems
- Performs related duties as required
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
Thorough knowledge of the NYS SED curriculum and publications on the effective management of a pupil transportation program;
Good knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques involved in job training and course instructions;
Ability to understand and interpret local, state and federal rules, regulations and laws related to pupil transportation;
Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
Ability to prepare and deliver detailed presentations to a variety of groups;
Ability to develop, process, and maintain all required records, reports, and related information;
Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, school officials, parents, students, agencies and the general public;
Ability to use independent judgment and discretion in directing and managing scope of authority;
Ability to develop, implement and conduct training meetings;
Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Continuous and permanent status in the Board of Education as a Bus Aide Team Leader for one year.
Possession of a current NYS School Bus Driver Instructor (SBDI) certification to be submitted within 18 months of appointment and maintained during length of employment.
FINAL FILING DATE: May 4, 2021
ASSOCIATE SUPERINTENDENT FOR HUMAN RESOURCES