BUFFALO BOARD OF EDUCATION
20DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
ROOM 720 CITY HALL
BUFFALO, NEW YORK 14202
Recruitment Bulletin # 20-223 April 1, 2021
INTERNAL POSTING ONLY
SUMMER SCHOOL TEACHER AIDE, HEALTH CARE AIDE or TEACHING ASSISTANT
*No applications will be accepted before April 1, 2021 or after April 30, 2021*
IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY EMPLOYED WITH THE BUFFALO PUBLIC SCHOOLS AS A TEACHER AIDE, HEALTH CARE AIDE or TEACHING ASSISTANT, PLEASE CLICK THE "APPLY" BUTTON BELOW TO SUBMIT YOUR INTEREST IN WORKING FOR THE 2021 SUMMER PROGRAM.
(NOTE: you must complete the fields with a red * asterisk)
***APPLICATIONS SUCCESSFULLY RECEIVED WILL GENERATE A CONFIRMATION E-MAIL TO THE E-MAIL ADDRESS LISTED ON THE APPLICATION. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE A CONFIRMATION E-MAIL WITHIN 24 HOURS WE CANNOT GUARANTEE THAT YOUR APPLICATION WAS RECEIVED. YOU MUST SUBMIT AN APPLICATION UNTIL YOU RECEIVE A CONFIRMATION E-MAIL***
For the benefit of the students and the continuity of the program, Teacher Aides and Teaching Assistants are required to work the full term of the summer school program they have been assigned.
Summer School Dates
Extended School Year, (ESY),
Jr. High School, 7th & 8th grades,
4 -week assignment
High School, 9th - 12th grades
Job Expectations for Non - ESY programs:
- Assists teachers in the direction and control of children in and outside the classroom;
- supervises and monitors the classroom when the teacher is out of the room;
- Relieves teacher of study hall, corridor, lunchroom, playground and other monitorial duties;
- helps to maintain discipline and structure in the classroom;
- attends to the physical needs of students;
- organizes and participates in group games and related activities;
- Assists teachers in operating and demonstrating the proper use of vocational tools and equipment;
- assists with projecting slides, film strips and films, videos, DVD, etc.;
- Reads and tells stories to children;
Assists teachers in routine classroom preparation duties such as making student folders, charts, schedules, posters and bulletin boards;
Helps teachers to set-up classroom by distributing and gathering materials and setting-up equipment;
- makes photocopies of materials for lessons;
- maintains and files records such as attendance, recording of grades or completion of homework assignments;
- Assists in administering tests by distributing and collecting test material, proctoring, scanning test sheets for results, distributes test results to teachers and career advisors;
At the direction of the teacher or principal, contacts parents regarding absences and other student matters;
Performs related duties as required
Job Expectations for ESY programs:
In addition to the Job expectations listed above Teacher Aides, Assistants, and Health Care Aide assigned to ESY programs below are responsible for the following:
PS # 84 Erie County Health Care Center for Children
any other ESY designated Sites
- Teacher aides and assistants will work directly with children, under the direction of the classroom teacher in:
- the areas of self-care, feeding, toileting, communication, academics (as planned and monitored by the classroom teacher).
- pushing wheelchairs and/or assisting walkers to other areas of the building for Art, Physical Education, etc.
- assisting children in Special Area classes, under the direction of the Special Area teacher.
- moving children from sitting positions to floor or mats and back to chairs.
- Teacher aides and assistants will attend therapy sessions to assist/learn how to reinforce programs in the classroom. If the therapy service provider does not wish for you to be present during a therapy session, you must return back to the home base classroom. You will be expected to assist other students in the classroom during this time.
- Teacher aides and assistants will assist children in dressing/undressing during swimming period and will be expected to assist IN the pool. You must be prepared to go swimming every week. This means you must have a bathing suit, towel, etc. in school and ready to use. The physical education/swim instructor(s) will determine what your participation will entail. You must be ready to enter the pool within 10 minutes of the beginning of the swim period. If there is a medical reason that you cannot be in the pool, you must provide me with a doctor’s note.
- Teacher aides and assistants will accompany students on field trips.
- Other duties may be assigned by teacher/therapist/principal depending on additional needs of children within the group.
- Teacher aides and assistants are entitled to a 30-minute duty/child-free lunch period and one 15-minute duty/child free break per day.
- Personal Aides:
- work directly with assigned student; encouraging student to become independent.
- may assist others in class in toileting, dressing, class assignment, classroom therapy programs, etc. as directed to by the teacher/therapist/principal.
- staff, teacher aides and assistants are expected to participate in a variety of in-school activities, committees and programs
Job Expectations for ESY programs and any programs at Occupational Training Center
- In addition to the expectations outlined in the Teacher Assistant / Teacher Aide APPR, the following items are specific to working in an Alternate Assessment Classroom.
- The Teacher Assistant/Teacher Aide must have an understanding of the character traits of students with developmental disabilities including intellectual impairments & autism.
- The Teacher Assistant/Teacher Aide must be willing to engage in community training and / or work-based learning each work day. This requires a positive approach and the ability to encourage students to participate in their program.
- The Teacher Assistant/Teacher Aide must be able to follow and use behavior plans/positive reinforcement.
- The Teacher Assistant/Teacher Aide must have the ability to walk in community settings for great distances and in all types of weather. This includes wearing the appropriate clothing and footwear for instructional activities taking place at work-based learning sites.
- The Teacher Assistant/Teacher Aide must be able to use all forms of public transportation when traveling with students.
- The Teacher Assistant/Teacher Aide must be able to model/demonstrate appropriate behavior for various community venues.
- The Teacher Assistant/Teacher Aide must be able to implement & follow established emergency procedures without supervision.
- The Teacher Assistant/Teacher Aide must be able to provide instruction to small groups of students while participating in community or work-based learning sites.
- The Teacher Assistant/Teacher Aide must be able to accurately record student performance data on prescribed forms.
- The Teacher Assistant must respect student confidentiality and adhere to Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act FERPA regulations.
School locations will be “hubbed”. HR will attempt to assign you to the “hub” location of your preferred schools. Providing your preferred location does not guarantee assignment to that location.
FINAL FILING DATE: April 30, 2021
Associate Superintendent for Human Resources