Electrician - Provisional RB #18-245
|Title:||Electrician - Provisional RB #18-245|
|Department:||Plant Services and School Planning|
BUFFALO BOARD OF EDUCATION
RECRUITMENT BULLETIN RB #18-245 September 21, 2018
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
ROOM 720 CITY HALL
BUFFALO, NEW YORK 14202
BUFFALO BOARD OF EDUCATION VACANCY
POSITION: ELECTRICIAN - PROVISIONAL
SALARY: $62.14 per hour
LOCATION: Facility Repair Department, 45 Bailey Ave., Buffalo, NY 14220
Civil Service Residency Rules Apply
APPLICATION: CANDIDATES FOR THIS POSITION SHOULD COMPLETE AN APPLICATION AVAILABLE ONLINE AT www.buffaloschools.org Applications successfully received will generate a confirmation email to the account listed on the application. If you do not receive a confirmation email, we cannot guarantee that your application was received. You must submit an application until you receive a confirmation email.
RESPONSIBILITIES: This is skilled work involving responsibility for efficient and workmanlike performance in the installation, maintenance and repair of electrical wiring, equipment and devices, including but not limited to structures and mechanical lift bridges. Incumbents work as an Electrician at the skilled craft worker level receiving general instructions regarding tasks to be performed allowing considerable leeway for planning the details of each assignment. Incumbents may work independently when engaged in trouble-shooting in the field. Depending upon work assignments, incumbents may be on call in the event of a power failure or crisis situation. Immediate supervision may be exercised over assigned employees.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Installs, maintains and repairs wiring and lighting systems, including conduits and cables;
- Maintains and repairs all generating equipment such as turbo-generators, exciters, field rheostats and voltage regulators;
- Maintains and repairs circuit breakers, transformers, busses and other electrical equipment and appliances;
- Maintains and repairs motors, draft fans, heating and ventilating equipment;
- Maintains and repairs lighting circuits and lighting fixtures;
- Maintains and inspects electrical controls in connection with heating systems;
- Re-routes high voltage power through a "Loop" system;
- Troubleshoots electrical systems during power failures or crisis situations;
- Makes minor repairs to computer installations and status monitoring systems;
- Requisitions the necessary materials and supplies as needed;
- Drives to and from work sites and vendor locations;
- Receives, reviews, assigns, monitors and processes work orders as required;
- Verifies and processes employee daily records including time cards, travel logs, accident/compensation reports, personnel evaluation reports and other records and reports as required;
- Consults with custodial engineers, administrators or vendors on required maintenance or repair activities needed in buildings or on equipment;
- Consults with architects, inspectors and engineering staff in the preparation of construction documents.
- Performs related work as required.
- Thorough knowledge of the design, construction, installation, maintenance and repair of electric instruments, devices and equipment;
- Thorough knowledge of the common practices, tools, terminology, conduit and tin wall bending, fittings and accident precautions of the trade;
- Thorough knowledge of the maintenance of high voltage sub-stations;
- Understanding electrical plans, specifications, circuitry, schematics, wiring diagrams, rough sketches and mechanical drawings;
- Good knowledge of the Electrical Ordinances of the City of Buffalo and the National Electrical Code;
- Good knowledge of safety practices and precautions;
- Knowledge of solid state equipment;
- Ability to work with low, high and extra high voltage circuits;
- Ability to work and understand component parts of printed circuits and make minor and adjustments;
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions;
- Ability to maintain work records;
- Ability to work in high places and climb ladders in the servicing or installing exterior or interior lighting;
- Ability to climb poles with steady nerves;
- Ability to work under adverse weather conditions;
- Good hand, motor and eye coordination; Manual dexterity;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Certificate of Completion must be presented at time of filing application.
- Successful Completion of an Apprenticeship Program Classifying as Skilled Tradesman-Electrician sponsored by New York State in Conjunction with a local union, private contractor or employer and ONE YEAR of full time experience as an Electrician at the skilled craft worker journeyman) level.
Candidates who qualify under this provision must present at time of filing application and affidavit(s) from an employer(s) verifying the above work experience including the one year at the skilled craft worker level. This affidavit must include dates of employment and duties performed.
- FOUR YEARS of full-time verifiable experience in all phases of the installation, maintenance and repair of electrical wiring, equipment and devices and ONE YEAR of full-time experience as an Electrician at the skilled craft worker (journeyman) level.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Possession of a current NYS Drivers License which must be presented at time of appointment.
APPLICATION: CANDIDATES FOR THIS POSITION SHOULD COMPLETE AN APPLICATION AVAILABLE ONLINE AT www.buffaloschools.org
APPOINTMENT: Appointments are subject to the review of the Board of Education upon the recommendation of the Superintendent following the approval of the City of Buffalo Civil Service Division. Personal interviews shall be scheduled where appropriate.
The Buffalo Board of Education is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
FINAL FILING DATE: October 4, 2018
Ms. Jamie Warren
Associate Superintendent for Human Resources
- Master’s Electrician License issued by the City of Buffalo and I accordance with Regulations of the city Charter can be substituted for the four years of experience stated in (B) above;
- Education in Electrical Technology or a related field will not substitute for the required work experience
- SKILLED CRAFT WORKER LEVEL is defined as work being performed independently.
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications